Teju Cole will take part in a concert hosted by the Orchestra of St. Luke’s, a chamber orchestra in New York City. The event, “Sounds & Stories,” will pair the finest of Music and Literature. The Open City author will headline the opening event on 3 March 2021. The British composer Anna Clyne and the British multimedia artist Jyll Bradley will co-headline a March 24 event. The American poet Rita Dove will lead the last event on May 5.
From the organizer’s website:
. . . artist, critic, and photographer Teju Cole’s curated concert features readings from his story ‘Radia’, with works that he chose to pair with his writing.
In his curatorial note, Cole describes ‘Radia’ as ‘a story about travel and discovery, a story of affliction and affiliation, set in a melancholy time’. But within it is the germ of an as yet unseen future.
Music, which is such a great part of our survival, is also what will survive us. This program, at the core of which lie several pieces for string quartet, evokes these interlocking themes of sadness and hope.
Teju Cole, who’s written several inspiring pieces about the sheer indestructibility of music, “will be accompanied by works spanning nearly a millennia, including pieces by Hildegard Von Bingen and Caroline Shaw.”
Known and Strange Things, the 2016 essay collection from Cole, got into the personal and professional lives of artists, some of them musicians: Nina Simone, Beethoven, etc. The artistic appetite of Cole, 45, makes him the perfect writer guest you want to see reading at a concert.
How to Attend
- Purchase tickets and receive a confirmation email at the time of purchase
- About 24 hours before the concert, you will receive a link to the concert page on OSLmusic.org sent to the email address used to purchase the tickets.
- If you have not received a link by 3pm the day of the concert, please contact the Box Office: tickets@OSLmusic.org or 212.594.6100 x2.
- At the start time of the performance, the concert will begin at the link we provided you.
- During the live performance, audience members can use the chat feature. OSL staff and orchestra musicians will be available for questions and conversation.
- An archive of the concert will be available at the same link used for the event for seven days after the live performance.