Agbowó, an ambitious collector of New African Art, is looking for several highly motivated African readers to join our fiction, poetry, and non-fiction team. Although these are unpaid volunteer positions, these roles represent a chance to join one of the leading literary paying markets in Africa, read and select the chosen fiction, poetry, and nonfiction pieces, and build confidence and editorial skill. You will also get to work alongside a community of dedicated writers and activists with the mission to emphasize marginalized identities. The time commitment will be around 10-15 hours per quarter.
- Love reading fiction, poetry and non-fiction — literary, experimental, and everything in between! — telling each other what we think about it. This typically includes reading 10-15 works during open reading periods. Readers access submissions and communicate their notes with the team
- Be a writer with at least two to three published pieces
- Collaborate remotely via conference call, Google Hangout (or whatever bit of technology is working on meeting day)
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Avid reader of contemporary prose, poetry and non-fiction. Familiarity with current literary journals, magazines, and websites
- Demonstrated ability with copy-editing and working with authors to improve their work
- Involvement in the literary community and interest in and ability to solicit writers for Agbowo
- Passion for uplifting emerging and underrepresented writers
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, etc.
- Previous publication, editing, and/or workshop experience
- We will give special consideration to African Applicants of Non-Nigerian Origin
- Single Year, renewable upon review
Please submit a cover letter explaining what sets you apart from the field, along with a resume and three (3) writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may use the subject: Reader Application.
Applications will be accepted until February 25th, 2022 and finalists will be contacted for an interview.